Sometimes you just get a hankering for smoked fish and rice. And eggs. And some spice. Or maybe it’s just me! This one is made with brown rice, but it’s just as good with your preferred rice, and would probably be quicker to make! Oh, and it’s dairy-free friendly (most kedgerees have you poach the fish).
You will need:
75g of your rice of choice
75ml boiled water
Big pinch of salt
1 smoked haddock fillet
1/2 red pepper
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp ground coriander
2 tsp curry powder
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1. Put the rice in a medium saucepan with the salt and boiled water and put the heat on at medium. Boil for around 20 minutes or until the grains start to burst and it is tender when tasted. You may need to add a small amount of water if it bold dry before it’s ready. In fact, it’s highly likely.
2. Slice the onion and pepper and sauteé the onion and pepper. Once they’re good and soft, add the spices and turn off the heat.
3. Trim and debone the haddock and wrap up in foil. Bake in the oven for around 8 minutes, until starting to flake. Boil the egg for 4 minutes, cool and peel.
4. When the rice is ready, turn the heat back up under the onions and peppers and chucj the rice in. Stir a few times until everything is hot and well-mixed.
5. Pour out into a bowl, chop and add the egg and flake the fish in top.
Don’t be tempted to add too much salt as the fish will be really smoky and salty. Otherwise, enjoy!